Saturday, July 3, 2010

No Words

This morning, we had a short meeting to chat about Ansan College rules and Korean etiquette, and then it was time to leave campus with another small group of Ansan students.

We had a fantastic lunch at a Korean BBQ, where they cook at the table. Then we went shopping at Home Plus, the store that ousted Wal-Mart in Korea. It was mostly similar, except that you didn't get your groceries bagged. There were stainless steel tables past the checkouts where you ... get this ... packed your goods in their recycled boxes and taped them closed. I also had a shopping buddy, who seemed cautiously amused when I told her that her name is easy for me to remember because it sounds very much like a quality meat (mignon).

After that, the students took us to the new Tom Cruise movie, and then we visited a "song-room". Song-rooms are a lot like karaoke, except as you might guess, it is done in a small room with a few good friends. The word karaoke has an interesting connotation here, having to do with a seedy atmosphere.

Many of the Ansan students here were impressed by the cards made by the Ansan students at Lakeland. Many have said that they will help me search these out.

I also had my first Makkoli and Soju today ... and my second ... and my third ... These Ansan students are amazing, and I can't wait to begin to return their kindness in the classroom.

Ok, I guess I had a few words after all. Enjoy some of today's pictures.








-t

No comments:

Post a Comment